Candlepin Bowling in New BostonIn our article about the summer boarding houses which were popular in New Boston c.1890-1920's, we described the various amenities which the proprietors offered their guests. There were tennis courts, croquet grounds, and even a couple of bowling alleys. Bowling in New Boston meant "candlepin bowling", of course.
Prospect Cottage originally had a fairly small barn, to the left of the house in this 1891 photo.
This was replaced by the larger barn we see today.
Solomon D. Atwood stands in front of his new barn.
The bowling alley was built in the hayloft in the upper right of the barn.
The windows of the bowling alley are outlined in red.
Imagine this bowling alley without Dr. Brenner and modern renovation materials.
It must have been warm in the hayloft in the summertime.
Old grain sacks were used as a bumper. Why does this old ball have finger holes?
The bowling lane had to be level and flat - it couldn't vary more than the thickness of a dime.
The lane was made of thin strips of maple nailed together with square nails.
Some bowlers scribbled their names on the wall. Dates range from 1926-1967.
Yes, Clem and his sister, Josephine, often bowled there when the Atwood sisters, Ann and Flo, lived there, particularly when nieces and nephews would visit. Our children had a chance to use it in 1960 when the family had an auction, after the sisters had died. The alley was built by the Atwood family for their boarders for recreation. Clem thinks the barn was built around 1870. Clem's family moved to New Boston in 1923. His father was headmaster [of New Boston High School] and Clem was born that year.Does anyone else remember bowling in New Boston? Please e-mail any memories to the web editor, Dan Rothman: email@example.com